Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Quote of Note #1

Dipti Pattni

English 8EP-2

April 18, 2012

Honor Pledge: I have neither given nor received any help on this essay_______


“My only love sprung from my only hate” (I.v.136)

Act I Quote of Note

Love at First Sight

William Shakespeare employs figurative language in the fifth scene of Act 1 in the tragedy Romeo and Juliet. Romeo first sees Juliet at the part thrown by her father, Lord Capulet. After they meet, they instantly fall in love and share a kiss, only to be interrupted by the nurse. Juliet is concerned about whether or not "[her] only love" is married (I.v.136). The nurse then tells her that Romeo is a Montague. Juliet is baffled to find out that Romeo is "sprung from [her] only hate" (I.v.136). Her reaction to the news shows her never ending love for Romeo and how their fate is really destined to end in tragedy. Although Romeo and Juliet come from two feuding families, their love is everlasting and will be together in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment